Maria Barroso was born in Lisbon, Portugal. She started her ballet training at the Escola de Dança do Conservatório Nacional in her hometown in 2003. In 2010 she went to Stuttgart to continue her training at the John Cranko Schule where she graduated in 2012. During her last year at the Academy of the John Cranko Schule she already danced in several production of the Stuttgart Ballet in the Corps de ballet.
She successfully participated in several competitions. In the year 2006 to 2009 she took part at the "Dançarte International Ballet Competition". There she won a first and a second prize in the group as well as two first prizes as a Soloist. At the "Prix de Lausanne" 2010 she won a scholarship for the John Cranko Schule in Stuttgart. She was also a semi-finalist at the „Youth American Grand Prix“ 2010.
In the season 2012/13 Maria Barroso became an apprentice with the Stuttgart Ballet.
Corps de ballet Roles with the Stuttgart Ballet
Specially created Roles
- Don Quijote (Maximiliano Guerra)
- Gaîté Parisienne (Maurice Béjart)
- La Sylphide (Peter Schaufuss after August Bournonville)
- Onegin (John Cranko)
- Romeo and Juliet (John Cranko)
- Swan Lake (John Cranko)
- The Lady and the Fool (John Cranko)
- The Taming of the Shrew (John Cranko)
- The Carneval of the Animals (Demis Volpi)
- Krabat (Demis Volpi)