Demis Volpi was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He began his ballet training at the age of four and studied with Andrea Candela, Mario Gallizi, Wilhelm Burmann and at the Escuela de Danza del Instituto Superior de Arte del Teatro Colón. Subsequently he attended the National Ballet School of Canada in Toronto and, from 2002 to 2004, the John Cranko Schule in Stuttgart. In 2004, he became an apprentice with the Stuttgart Ballet and joined the Corps de ballet in 2005.
With his first choreographies for the Stuttgart based Noverre-Society's Young Choreographers evenings, Demis Volpi made his mark as a choreographer. He created his first piece - on and on and on - in 2006 and was subsequently invited back to create works in 2007, 2008 and 2009. In 2010, Artistic Director Reid Anderson commissioned a world premiere from Volpi for the Stuttgart Ballet – Big Blur - followed by a highly acclaimed production of The Carneval of the Animals for the John Cranko School. In May 2012, The Carneval of the Animals was taken into the repertoire of Hamburg Ballet’s school.
For the 2011 Erik Bruhn Competition he created the Pas de deux Little Monsters for Stuttgart Ballet Dancers Elisa Badenes and Daniel Camargo. The piece won not only the Choreographic Prize; the dancersalso won the Audience Choice Award. In November 2011, Private Light, a commissioned work for American Ballet Theatre, received its world premiere. Also in 2011, he created a new work for Birgit Keil’s Badisches Staatsballett and in 2012 a new work for Ballett Augsburg.
Reid Anderson then commissioned a full length production from Volpi: Krabat based on the best- selling young adult novel by one of Germany’s most famous authors, Otfried Preussler. The world premiere took place on March 22nd, 2013 in the Opera House. Following the first performance, Reid Anderson appointed Volpi to Resident Choreographer of the Stuttgart Ballet, effective as of September 2013. In April 2014, Demis Volpi will create a new work for the Stuttgart Ballet set to a commissioned score by the American composer Michael Gordon.
Choreographies for the opera
- on and on and on World Premiere: „Young Choreographers“, Noverre Society, May 2006, Stuttgart Ballet
- spinto World Premiere: Gala “Musik und Ballett” of the orchestra association Stuttgart at the Liederhalle Stuttgart
- swish World Premiere: “Young Choreographers”, Noverre Society, June 2007, Stuttgart Ballet
- palpable leers World Premiere “Young Choreographers”, Noverre Society, July 2008, Stuttgart Ballet
- The Broadway Baby collaboration with Bridget Breiner; World Premiere on April 1st 2009 for the gala on occasion of Ballet Director Reid Anderson’s 60th birthday
- from me to you World Premiere “Young Choreographers”, Noverre Society, July 2009, Stuttgart Ballet
- Big Blur Commissioned work for the Stuttgart Ballet, World Premiere: March 31, 2010, Play House Theatre, Stuttgart
- Der Zauberlehrling World Premiere „Choreografen stellen sich vor“, July 4th 2010; Baden State Theater Karlsruhe
- Karneval der Tiere Commissioned work for the John Cranko School, World Premiere during the „Aktion Weihnachten“: December 5th 2010, Opera House Stuttgart
- Little Monsters World Premiere at The Ninth International Competition for The Erik Bruhn Prize on March 5th 2011, The National Ballet of Canada
- Capricen Commissioned work for the Badisches Staatstheaters Karlsruhe, World Premiere on March 12th 2011, Baden State Theater Karlsruhe
- Private Light Commissioned work for the American Ballet Theatre, World Premiere: November 5th, 2011, Bard College, later at the New York City Center
- Fingerspitzengefühl World Premiere during the „Aktion Weihnachten“: December 11th, 2011, Stuttgart Ballet
- Hypnotic Poison Commissioned work for the Theater Augsburg, World Premiere on March 24th, 2012, Theater Augsburg,in the course of the mixed repertory evening Forsythe, Galili, Volpi
- Spaceman Solo for Luis Ortigoza (Ballett de Santiago de Chile), World Premiere: August 29th, 2012, Teatro Municipal de Santiago
- Allure Solo for Hyo-Jung Kang (Stuttgart Ballet), World Premiere: September 15th, 2012, Dortmund Ballet
- Krabat Full-length ballet. Commissioned work for the Stuttgart Ballet, World premiere on March 22nd, 2013, Stuttgart Ballet
- La Juive Choreography for the opera La Juive at the State Opera Stuttgart, Premiere: March 16, 2008, State Opera Stuttgart
- Teseo Choreography for the opera Teseo at the State Opera Stuttgart, Premiere: May 2, 2009, State Opera Stuttgart
- 2007 Nomination in the category “Young choreographer to watch” in the critics’ survey of the magazine ballettanz
- 2011 Nomination in the category “Young choreographer to watch” in the critics’ survey of the magazine ballettanz
- 2011 Erik Bruhn Prize: Choreographic Prize for Little Monsters, performed by Elisa Badenes and Daniel Camargo
- 2012 Nomination in the category “Young choreographer to watch” in the critics’ survey of the magazine ballettanz
- 2012 Chilean Cultural Critics' Award nominated Spaceman the best choreography of the year 2012