Opera House (Opernhaus)
Oberer Schloßgarten 6, 70173 Stuttgart
The former Royal Court Theatres were constructed between 1909 and 1912 by the architect Max Littmann. The building complex consists of opera house, play house and administrative building. In 1924 the buildings were placed under a preservation order. The smaller play house was completely destroyed during the Second World War and only the opera house, decorated with neo-classical columns, survived the War.
In the Fifties and the Seventies, the auditorium was renovated twice, but changes were converted back in 1982 and 1984 when the interior was restored according to original designs. Nowadays, the richly-ornamented first tier is well-worth seeing with its array of marble busts that depict famous poets and composers. Another impressive feature is the elaborate ceiling fresco in the auditorium. The opera house is the venue for both opera and ballet productions. 1404 Seats